Friday, July 15, 2011

My Boys Wear Shorts! Shorts!

This week we are getting ready to leave for the Lake Week with Brad's family. I realized I'm pretty "short" on shorts for Atticus and Dietrich especially. It is so annoying to buy clothing in the middle of a season (especially one that lasts about 3 months in Minnesota). So I brilliantly thought I'd "whip some up" -- with all my extra personal time. Well, I love the blog MADE and have wanted to try her boy shorts tutorial. It took me about 3 pairs of pajama shorts before I really got the pattern tweaked to my liking. At one point I despaired very dramatically because I had used two naptimes and an evening to just get the pattern worked out. But Atticus sewed one of the pairs himself which made him and me so proud. Then I checked at Target and found the cheapest shorts were around $5 a pair -- but I hated them -- way too ill-fitting and bulky. The other shorts I found there were $10 a pair, so then I felt better pressing ahead. These shorts only take about 1/2 a yard and a very small amount of elastic (especially the flat-front style I chose to make). I found that I like the "sports" style elastic best of all -- the softest and most comfortable results. And I love this slightly stretch-y linen blend khaki striped stuff I found on sale. The dark denim was also on sale at Jo-Anns -- it is a great weight -- not too stiff, not too drapey, just a bit stretchy. And though I would love some personalized tags, I can't justify the crazy-expense of the ones I would want. I tried some sparkly printed cheap grosgrain ribbon but the stars rubbed off too easily. So I used just a loop of flat cotton twill tape. Red, of course (-: There's no reason for a tag -- I just like it. So I finished 5 pairs of interchangeably sized shorts and 4 pairs of pajama shorts (Thanks, Grandma Susan, for the fun fabric in Atticus' birthday sewing kit!!). Whew! At least I have the pattern down now -- I might even try some long pants later in the winter. Now on to more packing. Long, long, long week...praying for some real rest and peace among my children for the week ahead.
Dana's (of Made) son Owen...

Find Dana's tutorials here.

Various versions of her long-pants pattern. In the words of Fancy Nancy: Easy! Fun! Free!

No comments: