Thursday, September 04, 2008

Lipstick, Baby, Lipstick



Sarah Palin's speech last night at the GOP National Convention was the most fun political speech I've heard so far in my adult (world-conscious) life. I've known I was going to have to vote for McCain for awhile now -- not because I'm necessarily a Republican (though I agree with more issue stances in their camp than anyone else's, except sometimes the Libertarians). But because I can't compromise on the pro-life issue (it is so entirely critical). When McCain chose Sarah Palin I had no idea who she was -- never heard of her before. Brad filled me a bit, but last night was my first real exposure to her. And, my, oh, my I've never been so delightedly surprised nor more entertained by a "character" on the national, political scene. I wondered how a woman could choose to run for V.P. when so much has happened in her family's life this year: A brand-new baby with Down's Syndrome, a teenage daughter pregnant and not yet married, and so forth. But after hearing her last night, I think that maybe God gives different people and families different strengths and that there are times where you choose to allow service to others to "take away" from some focus on your own family. Yet "take away" is not necessarily the right phrase because giving to others also gives to your family by example and by drawing them into the commitment to sacrifice a certain amount of comfort and privacy and self-focus for the greater good of helping those around you. Anyway, there is much to be seen and heard and discovered about Palin and about the McCain-Palin ticket. I am not under the illusion that there are any ideal, flawless public servants out there. But then I don't expect politicians to "save" us let alone "fix" society and the world.
Yet they have the potential to do much good in this world.

My friend and fellow blogger Melissa Mailley has an excellent blog entry on Palin which is well worth the reading (far more than my ramblings). You can read her at:
http://tending-home-fires.blogspot.com

4 comments:

melissa said...

Hey, thank for the tag. I love your "ramblings"!!! And I couldn't agree more. I found myself choked up several times during her talk - something that's never before happened to me while listening to a political speech! And did you see Palin's youngest daughter smoothing out her baby brother's hair with her licked hand? So sweet my heart just broke. There is obviously so much love in that family.

melissa said...

Hey, also, congratulations on your pregnancy! That's exciting! I guess I have to get pregnant in the next month or so, so we can keep the pattern going of having babies a few months apart. You wanna try for girls this time? :P

tiffany said...

Hi Sarah~I don't think I know you, but just linked to you from Melissa's blog. I too am pretty stoked about Palin and enjoyed reading your post! Also, I clicked on your link "our church" and I think you have the wrong link to it. Do you go to ANCF the BBC plant? I think it's .org, not .com.

Congratulations as well!
Tiffany

خدمات منزلية said...

شركة تنظيف مطابخ بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف مطابخ بالنعيرية
شركة تنظيف مطابخ بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مطابخ بجدة
شركة تنظيف مطابخ بالطائف
شركة تنظيف مطابخ بصفوي
شركة تنظيف مطابخ بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف مطابخ بالجبيل
شركة تنظيف مطابخ بسيهات