Saturday, July 05, 2008

I Want This Kid with All His Melodrama

Today while Atticus and I were driving to the grocery store, I heard a terrible monologue on some public radio show: The woman was trying to be funny complaining about two-year-olds. I hated her degrading tone. And I was shamed -- In the past week I have been all too vocal about my frustrations with Atticus' emotional intensity and struggles. I've talked about him in ways that were neither discreet nor gracious. I've talked about him not only with Brad but with others who did not need to know such things. I realize he is two years old, yet I really think I should be respectful to him even now. There is a place and time to talk through the difficulties of parenting a toddler -- but not flippantly and especially, especially not mockingly. I've even joked that I'd like to give him away a couple years until he gets through the hardest part and then take him back. I think saying such things isn't right, and I've resolved to quit such slander (?) here and now. I never want Atticus to feel like he isn't worth the work. He is. He is worth every hard day. I wouldn't give him up to save myself a hundred crying jags or give myself a thousand more hours of sleep. I want him. And everything, and I mean, everything that comes with him.

Well, I just needed to say that.

1 comment:

Leah Miller said...

I like you, your honesty, and your challenges.

Thanks, Sarah.