Wednesday, March 28, 2012

More Birthday Lincoln with Grandparents: Part 1

When I asked Lincoln for some ideas for his birthday gifts, he said wanted Grandpa Gary (my dad) to walk with him in the woods. Awww...that kid. So my dad and mom came up the Monday after Lincoln's birthday to do just that. We went down by Minnehaha Creek. We played "Pooh Sticks" off the bridge, threw rocks, enjoyed being outside together. There was even a little adventure while I was gone picking up Atticus from school: Lincoln started kicking rocks off the bridge when his shoe sailed away down into the moving creek. Lincoln started sobbing-screaming. My dad rushed down to the creek trying to fish the shoe out with a stick. My mom tried calming Lincoln down. Then my dad raced to take his shoes off and roll his pants and heroically jumped out into the creek rescuing the escaping shoe. Dietrich and Lincoln were extremely impressed excitedly retelling the story when I returned with Atticus. We played some more and then my folks took us out for a birthday lunch.













 
My mom's contribution to birthday festivities was to come up with the idea of "planting" the boys in the still-empty garden box. They all had much fun and thought it was awesome to be doing something their mother never lets them do. (Clarification -- I DO let them play in dirt -- in fact, they had a couple hours of crazy-dirt pile adventures at one of the parks this week; But I DON'T let them play in the garden box.) Oh dear. (-:









This is my favorite picture -- that kid. Rascal-face.

1 comment:

Leah Miller said...

Those are both amazing and wonderful and memorable grandparent stories. Love them!!!