Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Pretty Ears!

This morning Leah & I took our daughters to get their ears pierced. I was so excited and Leah was so brave!! The girls hardly cried at all and they both look so pretty! Hooray! I hope they become wonderful friends as they grow up and have this shared moment (-:

We went to the Piercing Pagoda at the Mall of America. There are restrictive laws in Minnesota against needle piercing for infants and after much research including asking three pediatricians I chose this route. The woman was efficient, professional, and good with the babies and us moms. I was glad. Oh, and in case you want to know, the baby has to be at least 2 months old and have had their first set of vaccinations.

This looks "medieval" but in this picture no piercing had occurred -- the lady had just put a marker dot on Thea's earlobe. Yep. I think she cried less in the actual piercing than she did while I held her head for the initial preparation.
 














3 comments:

Joslin3 said...

SO prettty!
I just came to your blog in hopes of finding new pictures and you pulled through for me :)
You look GREAT Sarah! And the pictures and your writing all made me smile and feel warm and fuzzy.
Thanks :)

liz@carpeseason said...

I know this isn't the point of this post at all, but I love the Atticus/Thea combo pics. They are priceless!

Anonymous said...

I was searching for my GF's blog and came across yours. Like you, I had our dd's ears pierced early
too. This was a perfect age to pierce her ears. I admit that I love the look of little pierced ears on babies and little girls.

I think you both were smart mommies for piercing your dd’s ears early. Admittedly, I know a lot of people have strong feelings when to pierce a child’s ear. “Let them decide” is being replaced by
parental decision when mommy intuition knows, “earlier is better” from either personal or
friend’s experiences of unpleasant childhood ear piercing.

Many moms including myself like the look of earrings on babies and little girls for no specific reason, but like how light plays off a simple gold ball on a bald baby girl or small gold hoop poking through the hair of a toddler. It is so girlie-girl.

Cerebrally, as mothers of girls of all ages, we know it celebrates their femaleness and femininity. To each their own but I think the earlier the easier. If we have another girl, I will pierce her
ears early as well. I asked our pediatrician and she encouraged me to go ahead before she aware of her surrounding or developed a pincer grip to play with her ears. She gave me some suggestions for moms having their daughter’s ears pierced.

If anyone wants our ped’s tips, then don’t hesitate to write me an e-mail. Also if you have neysayers about how pretty your dd looks with earrings, write me for some rebuttal quips my sister and I put together.


Amy
amyswor@hotmail.com