Monday, June 01, 2009

Memorable Memorial

Grandma Nancy with Lincoln
Memorial Day weekend we visited Brad's family in Des Moines. Nancy is retiring this year after 30+ years teaching at the same elementary school -- and Nancy being who she is (-: didn't want a celebratory party. She wanted to take all her kids and grandkids to the amusement park for the day.

Playing in the water table out back



Riding the train at the farmer's market in Des Moines Saturday morning

I like this look Max is giving his cousin Atticus.

While Max and Atticus get another ride, Dietrich entertains himself.




Making pancakes with Grandpa Sunday morning

In front of the steak restaurant with Grandma Nancy and Cousin Max

At the amusement park...we started on the carousel.

Uncle Brian and Cousin Max

Then the Ferris Wheel

The Tea Cups

Max is not sure about all this...

A very small puddle...but still it must be done...

The bumper cars -- Max's favorite "Crash! Crash Grandpa! Crash Uncle Brad!"

Dietrich and Grandpa Tom

Atticus and Brad

All three of the guys in hot pursuit of each other...

Dietrich, Atticus, Aunt Kara & Max in the Semi Truck

The big guys do the space needle drop thing...

Kara & Max

Deitrich, Atticus, and Uncle Brian mapping out the next rides, after lunch.

Riding the train

Dietrich tired and annoyed by sunscreen...

Max loved feeding the geese

We went back to Nancy and Tom's in mid-afternoon, put the kids down for their naps, and Brad and I came back for another hour to ride roller coasters. We (especially the me part of "we") were so sore for two days following, but it was just wonderful. Felt like we were teenagers...or giddy-silly dating (which we never were when we were actually dating -- dumb us). I love my husband so much -- I love how he is a full-tilt man and boy at the same time. I love how he makes me feel pretty and desired and pursued. I love how he is always putting me in fun situations I would never choose for myself -- plainly: He makes me have fun. It is like the 23rd Psalm where it says that God our Shepherd leads us by still waters...Brad knows how to make me rest -- and when to make me do it. No one I know has ever managed to do that. I know that Christ is my Rest, but Christ certainly uses Bradley Johannsen to restore my soul time and time and time again. By the way, not only did Brad get me on a Ferris wheel (I have this thing about really high things held together by rusted metal and dubious looking boltage...) but I rode on some seriously twisted flinging, turning, upside down contraptions.

The playground near Nancy and Tom's house...Monday morning

Aunt Kara and the boys doing the slides

A climbing wall for my personal skill level

Max is scared to go down by himself -- I'm giving him a motivational speech before giving him a motivational shove down the slide.

Throwing rocks on a metal slide -- oh the rapture!

2 comments:

Joslin3 said...

Lovely pictures. I could see the happiness on the faces of all of you! Glad you and Brad had some good ole fun! All the boys sure are cute!!

Leah Miller said...

Ditto!