Thursday, June 04, 2009

Abstract Funny Loneliness?

I also just finished this book -- an autobiography from Steve Martin about the years of his life as a stand-up comedian. The thought behind his brand of comedy is truly fascinating -- such a well-thought out, long-developed form of abstract art. Really. If you have time and the inclination, I'd pick it up -- He's much more than you think. His novels are interesting too -- though I didn't enjoy and wouldn't widely recommend his novelette, Shopgirl, the one re-made into a movie. His second one, The Pleasure of My Company, has stuck with me even after a half dozen years away from it. Not surprisingly Martin's books are standing out to me because they mostly deal with forms of loneliness. His comedy as well as his novels' characters. I think Steve Martin's life has arisen out of and been propelled by loneliness. Unlike Mike Perry, the author I wrote about in two entries ago, Martin did not grow up in a community, did not really experience community -- ever -- at least not by the end of the book. I hope he has found it or been found by it in these recent years.
(p.s. the last photo is from his recent banjo album -- it might not be widely known that Steve Martin is also a very good banjo-player -- and has put out a mostly serious cd -- There are some humorous folk songs on it and as he has said previously, it is quite hard to play a sad banjo song -- it being an inherently happy instrument.)

No comments: