Sunday, March 15, 2009

Room for Two More

So this weekend Brad and I bought a BRAND_NEW Kia Sedona minivan. We had been planning to get a minivan in a year or so -- since we can't fit three carseats faced forward in the PT Cruiser. But when my sister moved in with us earlier than expected, we realized it would make more sense to get the bigger car now so that we could go to church and around town and for visits back to my folks all together as a family. Also if you've seen some of the car deals going on right now, the timing seemed even more right. So we re-adjusted our project plans for the house and decided to postpone some of the bigger purchases we had planned for the year, and jumped into some consumer research before landing on the Sedona. Here she is in dark blue. If you are interested in more details, go ahead and go to the Kia site. Otherwise here's her superficial shiny glam shots. (I never thought I'd be so excited about such a fundamentally unwieldy, unsexy vehicle, but at some point this winter, I "crossed over" into the we just need more room and I'd love to be able to help out friends by bringing along their children sometimes -- or even being able to fit a guest into our car without shoe-horning them in between the two boys....etc. etc.) I can't believe I own a brand new car. Man. And this all in the same month that Brad added me to the house mortgage at the re-financing finalization -- I own a house and a minivan and I am about to hold my third son in my arms. I am "deep in" to grown-up-ness apparently. So strange. So satisfying. So freakingly much better than I ever ever believed it would be. I drove our car home from the dealership Saturday night and decided to let my brain turn back on as I pulled on to the highway. Thanksgiving just poured out of me -- I love my life. I love my life. I love my life. My husband, my children, my extended families, my friends, my church family, my city...my strange, beautiful, splendid, terrifying, inscrutable God. So this isn't just some "family vehicle", it is a big moving metal symbol of the blessedness, the happiness of Sarah Christine Johannsen's very soul. There you go.

1 comment:

Tanya Rustad said...

Awesome. Being a "grown-up" is definitely way better that I pictured it when I was young. God is such an amazing provider. He gives us so much more than we could ever hope and satisfaction in things we never would expect...a mini-van, really? He is awesome.