Thursday, May 02, 2013

Farther Along...

Two weeks ago Brad and I went to a Josh Garrels concert at the Varsity Theater over near the University. We have loved this artist for a few years but being Portland-based and a "family man", he doesn't tour this part of the country often and has never come through Minneapolis.But he did this time...

The concert was exactly what I had hoped -- Garrels talked in-between songs as if he were sitting with you in a living room somewhere -- letting you in on how he uses his song-writing to process life, process experiences -- moving into the performance seamlessly and back to talking. To me, it felt like the way my soul wants church to be. I felt exhorted, reminded of what is true, encouraged and so thankful for a person who makes music and uses words in ways I cannot but hunger to express. It wasn't a perfect concert and it felt too short (the Varsity closes early on Sunday nights so there was an enforced "curfew"), but it was exactly what I needed and wanted and hoped for that night.Josh Garrels is my favorite living poet and God uses this man's art to feed my soul.



There were probably two dozen people we knew there that night, but we were happy to go get some pizza with the Bergets afterwards. Liz talked Brad into trying this crazy Philly Steak Pizza. It really was exactly that -- a Philly Steak Sandwich in the form of a pizza.

Look at those faces...Oh, Brad, you cutie.

"Farther Along" 

"Pilot Me"

"Zion & Babylon"

"The Resistance" 

And one last one for my dad -- Because I think he would like this one the best:
"Come O Emmanuel"

And if you are still reading, it's because you are my family or a close friend or really bored (-: So here are the lyrics to "Farther Along" and another of my favorites: "SISU".

Farther Along

Farther along we’ll know all about it
Farther along we’ll understand why
Cheer up my brothers, live in the sunshine
We’ll understand this, all by and by

Tempted and tried, I wondered why
The good man died, the bad man thrives
And Jesus cries because he loves em’ both
We’re all cast-aways in need of ropes
Hangin’ on by the last threads of our hope
In a house of mirrors full of smoke
Confusing illusions I’ve seen

Where did I go wrong, I sang along
To every chorus of the song
That the devil wrote like a piper at the gates
Leading mice and men down to their fates
But some will courageously escape
The seductive voice with a heart of faith
While walkin’ that line back home

So much more to life than we’ve been told
It’s full of beauty that will unfold
And shine like you struck gold my wayward son
That deadweight burden weighs a ton
Go down into the river and let it run
And wash away all the things you’ve done
Forgiveness alright

Chorus

Still I get hard pressed on every side
Between the rock and a compromise
Like the truth and pack of lies fightin’ for my soul
And I’ve got no place left go
Cause I got changed by what I’ve been shown
More glory than the world has known
Keeps me ramblin’ on

Skipping like a calf loosed from its stall
I’m free to love once and for all
And even when I fall I’ll get back up
For the joy that overflows my cup
Heaven filled me with more than enough
Broke down my levee and my bluff
Let the flood wash me

And one day when the sky rolls back on us
Some rejoice and the others fuss
Cause every knee must bow and tongue confess
That the son of god is forever blessed
His is the kingdom, we’re the guests
So put your voice up to the test
Sing Lord, come soon 
 
SISU (means "stubborn guts" in the Finnish language)
 
By the word and command, mortal man can stand, son of man is the manna manifest
In the flesh and the blood, and the bones and the rocks, in the valley of the dead
The dry bones are gonna walk and talk
To the rhythm of the saints y’all, to the rhythm of the saints
And I paint it red to remember the dead, who layed down their lives for the truth
And the seed that is buried takes root, and this ignorant world will have proof
I remember the sins of my youth, the path and the madness of unrestrained pleasure
The heavier trip it made the heavier debter
In the deepest of dark without a wing or a feather,
The spiral closed in like a cage, like a cage
A maze that’s amazing for days turns to rage if the page it refuses to turn
And the hopeless will hope the book burns
When the lesson it returns, but the lesson is still unlearned
See I yearn to discern if a life can be earned or is given as a gift to the dead
I read and I bled and I fed to the full my soul on the sickest of sickness
Seeking the light of a saviors witness, a way that one day that I might forget this
But slave master wont permit this
Cause I’m a hooker I’m his mistress
And when I look for freedom he puts more chains on me
Strangles my hope so that I live like a zombie
What masters house can this be, that when I look for freedom he still deceives me
If there’s a God I screamed, “Answer me!”
I didn’t expect an answer to be received, He said

You must die, to be set free, living in the kingdom of God eternally
Open up my eyes so that I can see, and die with a cry revolutionary
Every man and woman is a witness, and we will never forget this
Truth

Undiluted, undisputed, never to be substituted, or uprooted, fully suited for the war
It’s a modernization of a timeless metaphor, and
By the boomerang we bring the beats back more
What for man, do we work exterior to core, or begin it in the spirit of the Lord
Now you could pull the chord, but the people still sing it acapella
Marching to the beat I hear their feet are in the cellar
Fear not the world cannot stop what must begin within you and me
A fire wind, holy hymn, beautiful diadem, hidden within positively pure prism refraction
Every colors broken down, harmonize with my eyes spectrum
In the end bleeding into the One, to the source, to the beautiful father of light
All the pressure and pain, produces perseverance
It’s purged by the flames, without interference
Produces a hope, In the glory of God
My God I am your son, and I know that you will finish the work that you’ve begun
Homespun, grassroots, spontaneously suits the purpose, and we don’t deserve this
Life

He said
You must die to be set free, living in the kingdom of God eternally
Open up my eyes so that I can see, and die with a cry revolutionary
Every man and woman is a witness, and we will never forget this
Truth

1 comment:

liz@carpeseason said...

"And if you are still reading this." Bahahha. Such a lovely concert, and we have you guys to thank for introducing us to him!