Thursday, August 05, 2010

Visiting My Family Before the Baby Comes

My parents with all of the cousins together.
(l-r) Dietrich, Atticus, Lincoln, Clark, Lilly, Grant, & Felicity

Last weekend was our annual visit to see Aaron, Lindsey, Lilly & Grant at my folks. My brother Aaron has been "stationed" down in Laredo, Texas for a couple long years now and is only able to travel up here once a year. The last few years my parents have organized an informal picnic where anyone from our homeland (Northern Illinois) is invited to come visit with us. Every year there is a different mix of family and friends. I was so excited this year because my cousin Ginger O'Rourke was taking our family photos. She started a new family photography business this past year called Gingersnapps (she and her business are on facebook for anyone interested), and she is so so so good. Here is just a hand-full of the pictures she was able to get with 7 little cranky, crazy cousins ages 4 and under. She is so patient and so easy-going and, did I mention, GOOD at what she does.

My sister-in-law Lindsey, brother Aaron, niece Lilly, & nephew Grant

These guys came up despite Aaron having a big court case rescheduled for his family vacation so he had to leave halfway through the week -- AND then the f.b.i. ended up post-poning the trial date AGAIN (non-refundable airway tickets) and re-re-scheduling it for their only other family vacation to visit Lindsey's family in southern Illinois. (Again, non-refundable airway tickets). Can you believe it?! And Grant was teething and "off" all week so poor Lindsey had to make it work best she could. I am so glad they came anyway -- Seriously, Aaron & Lindsey are two of the funniest people I've ever met -- Brad and I were laughing so hard during one of their stories that I couldn't breathe and ended up very-pregnant-lady-like pee-ing my pants. Oh dear. I wish they lived down the street.

My sister-in-law Robyn, brother Jonathan, Nephew Clark, & niece Felicity

Robyn & Jonathan live with my folks and I very much enjoyed getting to know Robyn better this trip. She is so good with the kids -- patient, easy-going, hard to fluster, and sweet. I'm glad Clark is getting old enough to start playing more with our boys (-:

My crazy sister and her crazier hair -- really? Could two women be more different in temperament and aesthetic? But I love her and was am glad she is part of our weekly lives up here in Minneapolis.

Thank you, Ginger, for getting a picture of me pregnant with my daughter that I feel like I can share with everybody and won't be too embarrassed of when she's a curious 9-year-old and wants to see a picture of me right before she was born.

We all stayed together in my folks little house. Thankfully a distant relative of Robyn's lent us a pop-up trailer with electricity so Brad, I, and the kids could have beds to sleep in. Unfortunately, I delayed make a final decision about the length of our stay, and ended up staying two nights longer than the camper was available. But at least Lincoln & I had a very comfortable couch (-: (The boys did fine on the floor in sleeping bags.) Brad went home Sunday with Bekah -- They both needed to be back for work. It would have worked out fine except I managed to catch a nasty nasty cold that I ended up giving to Lindsey and her kids as a Bon Voyage present -- nice. So they all have it now that they're back in Laredo. )-: Still I think it was good to stay a couple more days so the kids could see more of each other. Next year I think we will all need a little more space -- I think that would help worlds.

Felicity

Dietrich, Lilly & Atticus
This was the first year Dietrich was part of the older-kid brigade and he was a bit infatuated with Lilly (and a little jealous of Atticus).

Grant

At the picnic -- silly ice game with the cousins...

Brave Lincoln...

My completely handsome husband in one of my favorite outfits on him...

Oh, really, I shouldn't post this picture because I will make everyone so jealous -- Seriously, how handsome is this guy. Five years married -- tomorrow!!! -- and it is only getting better and better. I can't believe he asked me to marry him. I can't believe I actually said "yes". I wish I knew even a taste of what this relationship is the day of our wedding.... So so good.

Oh this is a cute kid...and even though he always glares in family photos...this is his real smile...and I get to see it all the time.

Lincoln at the top of the slide laughing in gleeful anticipation ...

Look what these goofy boys asked for -- a very silly push-a-me-pull-ee (remember Dr. Doolittle?).

Clark thinks they are hilarious...

An extra visit & out for dinner with my cousins Lisa, Jason, Ian, & Ellie

Grant reading

Music & Dancing before church on Sunday

Lilly napping with Grandpa after falling asleep while reading a book together

Concert in the park in Dubuque

Grant totally dancing to what I would like to think was the Loretta Lynn cover in the set

Next morning at the Potosi town park...

A baby bird learning to fly

Felicity eating grass...

Creative slide usage...
The kids went down in clusters tumbling over each other like cubs...pretty funny

3 comments:

gingersnapps said...

Thank you so much for the kind words and compliments! It was my pleasure to see you all and be the one who got to photograph the greater "Gary & Susan Ackland" Family.

Thanks!
G

Leah Miller said...

I love all the pics! I had tons of thoughts as I was browsing but now I can't remember any of them. It looks like you had a lot of fun.

Oh- I loved the ones of D- and it made me laugh that he scowled in the family photos. But it didn't surprise me. ;)

Beth said...

Amazing pictures. My favorite was the boys swinging back to back.