Sunday, October 12, 2008

Checking in with Dietrich

Just a few things about Dietrich: First, he now officially crawls full-operation mode. He also pulls up to a standing on anything. And he's even done a bit of "cruising" along the couch or coffee table. The baby gates are back up, and there's been quite a bit of book and toy re-positioning to adjust to his new mobility. The relationship between Atticus and Dietrich has entered a new era now too: So much more interaction and so much more negotiation and training and, yes, conflict. But also some moments of real playing together.


Some of you knew about Dietrich's nasty face rash covering his eyes, nose and mouth. It appeared about 3 1/2 weeks ago after his 9-month doctor appointment. At first I thought it was a pacifier rash, but then it started spreading and getting worse. Maybe it's dry skin -- so I tried Aquaphor a number of times a day for a week. Then I thought it might be a food allergy so I tried cutting out suspect foods. No difference. I talked to a general practitioner doctor friend at church -- He said it might be a contact infection from Dietrich's infected fingernail (I've also been battling). He said try antibacterial ointment for three days and see what happens. I did, and no change. So I took him into the pediatrician Thursday morning. The doctor had no idea what it was. He referred me to a dermatologist. I called the dermatologist when I returned home. They said we could get in after NOVEMBER 3rd. Crazy. I said, "Isn't that an awfully long time for a baby to have a rash?" The receptionist said, "Yes it is. Wait, let me see something...[pause, on hold] Okay, if you can come in today at 2 pm, we can get you in." I said, "All right, I'll be there." Later I find out that this is nothing short of a miracle. Apparently no one gets in to a dermatologist the same day you call -- The wait is months. It's just standard. But God is very kind. So I feed the boys, get them in the car, and drive to the dermatologist. Both boys were wonderful waiting for half an hour to get in (and both of them missing their nap while they wait). The doctor walks in, asks me three questions, and totally knows what this rash is: Some sort of inflammatory dermatitis which they really don't know the cause of, but they know it responds well to antibiotics and cortisone. So we put Dietrich on Erythromycin twice a day for two weeks and topical cortisone at the same dosage for a week. After three days he looks wonderful. I am just so thankful. Since they don't know what caused it, I don't know if it will reoccur, but for now I am glad to be able to clear it up.

And the last thing about Mr.D is that though he is playing with a fire truck in these pictures, Brad and I have noticed that he is no where near as interested in vehicles the way Atticus has beenfrom the start. What Dietrich does enjoy is things with pieces that go together. Like he can put the rings on one of those plastic stacking ring toys. He can almost put Lego blocks together. He can put the wooden blocks on the pegs of his stacking Melissa & Doug train. We are quite fascinated by this. It is so fun watching the personality of a child unfold and reveal itself.

1 comment:

kara said...

Your boys are adorable, and I miss all four and 1/2 of you! Thanks, as always, for the blog updates!