Tuesday, March 20, 2007

My Mom Comes to Visit for My Birthday




My mom came up for the weekend of my birthday. She arrived in time for our wine and spelling bee party, glibly dubbed The Drunken Bee. We played as
two-person teams. My mom grandly emceed the raucus event. I was pretty happy that we all stayed in for round upon round, building to a fun spell-off between the Millers and the Johannsens. Eric and Leah arrived in style -- dressed as a nerd replete with taped glasses, vest and bow-tie for Eric and black and gold bee colors for Leah -- and left bee-liciously with the trophy. Congratulations, you two!! Let it be known that Leah's first word (of a beginner's 8th grade word list) was "panjandrum" -- i mean, really! And they still won.

My birthday day was warm, sunny and just wond
erful. Brad surprised me by taking the entire day off of work as one of my presents. My mom, I and Atticus did a few shopping errands in the morning, had lunch at home with Brad. Then Atticus went down for his nap and mom and I went to see the the movie about Beatrix Potter, Miss Potter, over at the Landmark in Edina [It was fantastic, by the way]. When we got back home, Brad and I walked down to the slushy, melting park and played a rowdy game of frisbee, walking home jolly together with the sinking sun still smiling. We went for a quick supper and came back to put Atticus to bed and watch an episode of our current favorite story series, Monk (a detective show).

No comments: