Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Scissors Supreme

So last time I was at my folks' house I brought down a sewing project to finish while I was there. My mom let me try out her new Bernina sewing machine -- wonderful, amazing machine! When I returned home, I realized I had left my scissors and pin cushion-tomato thing there. I've been using Atticus' scissors and pins from his birthday sewing kit. Well, apparently my mom tried using my scissors and thought they were crapola -- hey! I've had them a long time -- Fiskars blue plastic ones -- carefully only used on fabric -- never paper, etc. -- a cardinal rule of sewing scissors (learned growing up with my seamstress mother). Anyway, last week a package arrived in the mail for me. I thought my mom had decided to mail back the sewing stuff --hooray! -- and then I opened the box and -- OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Inside was this silver metal box. The imprint on the lid was enough to make my heart leap...for non-sewing geeks out there, "gingher" is like the cadillac of sewing scissors. I carefully opened the lid and...my breath caught...

Are these not the most beautiful scissors you have ever laid eyes upon?

I can't even bring myself to use them yet...

I have taken them out once a day, when the house is finally quiet, and just held them for a little while...

In hushed respect...

They feel so good...heavy, strong, well-made...Thank you, Mom. Thank you for knowing these things about me...for always being one of those people who remembers the frosting-on-the-cake parts of life. Sometimes I want you to be more practical and a little more rational. But I would not want to trade the surprising, party-making, frosting parts of you. I love you. Oh, and when I finally make my first cut with this lovely tool, I will give you a call (-:!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I love the homage to the scissors. :) Unfortunately, we don't even have fiskars here so I'm doing with some Chinese something and awaiting some fiskars that my mom sent in a package with my Christmas gifts that has never arrived. I think it got stollen....:( I'll live vicariously through your sewing projects, instead.

Atticus! said...

Lisa! Man, is there a way to mail things to you that is safer than others? Can you send things registered mail -- or doesn't it make a difference? Bleh!