Friday, April 15, 2011

The Coat

So I made this coat from a Simplicity Project Runway pattern. The fabric is a very heavy, little bit stretchy wool jersey. The lining is a Joel Dewberry "Deer Valley" print (that I was previously using as a table-cloth). The wooden buttons are re-used from some hand-made curtains I had in long-term storage. I am happy with the collar and the back pleating at the top. I am not happy with the heavy, strange way it feels while I am wearing it. Also, the armholes are too slim for me to feel comfortable wearing even a light-weight sweater. I also dis-like the way it tends to drape funny in the front panel -- this being due to my choice to fore-go interfacing. (I always feel like it makes a garment too stiff especially when I chose this fabric for the way it seemed to swing and drape.) The sad thing is that I'm not sure if I will actually wear it when winter hits next year. But I did learn quite a bit sewing it, including re-learning how to make button-holes -- something I hadn't done since high school (and, then, always with my mom right there to help). I am still in some experimental stages with sewing some dresses for myself, so this coat is part of an over-all experiment to see if I can make clothing for myself that I will actually want to wear on a daily basis. So far I am not very impressed with my results. But I am not giving up yet either.


I had the most fun doing the hand-stitching. It was a whim and the end result is a little "much" but it would be easy enough to pull out the stitching. For now, it was too much work to not leave it for awhile.


  
This photo is the closest to the actual colors.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

It's too bad it's not very comfortable cause it looks great on you! From a newbie sewer hoping to get that good- I am very impressed! Sometimes it just takes some experimenting before we get it right, right?

Leah Miller said...

The stitching is NOT a little much! It is sooo beautiful, Sarah! I say you wear it and just remember that "beauty is pain."

Bird said...

I think it's beautiful especially the color and the stitching is just perfect to set it all off.
With the interfacing--I hear you, but you could use a lighter weight than the material would call for, or stitch-in. I've never used the latter, but it might help with shaping. I didn't get a good look at the front, but it seems to lay smooth. I also love the swinginess of the hem--very chic, very you!

liz@carpeseason said...

leave in the stitching - I'm with Leah.

It is such a fun coat...I say make an identical coat to it next year w/ bigger arm holes & let me learn w/ you.