Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Unsophisticated & "Respectable" Sinners Colliding

My children are having trouble being respectful and being kind. They are so un-affectedly, openly selfish and rebellious. I am thankful they begin so un-sophisticatedly horrible at hiding the ugly things in their hearts because then I know how to pray for and with them. Though I am anxious for God to swoop in and capture them body and soul so that the Holy Spirit is more evidently working in them, I am trying to rest that He knows the best time and way to do that in them. Meanwhile I will work with all my might and heart to be consistent in how I talk with them and discipline them. I will not allow cruelty or disrespectful/rude actions. As for their hearts and attitudes, I pray for God's gracious sanctification for them. AND how convicted I am about my own lack of self control in my emotions and often in my words too. And I see my own selfishness and rudeness highlighted -- matched up against their small-person versions. Please change me, God, more and more and more. Make me wise and kind; selfless and cheerfully creative in tending to their hearts and minds and bodies. "Ravish [our] hearts, Three-Personed God" [Donne].



3 comments:

EricBerget said...

good post. Thanks for reminding me of Donne. Holy Sonnet #14 was very significant to me in college, I haven't come across it in years.
"...breathe, shine, and seek to mend
That I may rise, and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force, to break, blow, burn, and make me new.

Joslin3 said...

Hang in there Sarah. We as friends and mothers have been there...are there! I will catch myself saying, "Why are you so crabby? Why are you acting like that?!" And then think, well duh, I do it to them regularly too! We're all sinful human beings.

liz@carpeseason said...

bear in mind that these will make GREAT graduation slideshow pictures someday for Dietrich. I love you and love your humility and love how I get to watch you "mom" these guys and learn from you and that we live 12 blocks away from each other...or so..