Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Aaron & Lindsey's Trip Home

Last Thursday afternoon we traveled down to my folks outside Dubuque for a giant family extravaganza. My brother Aaron, sister-in-law Lindsey, niece Lilly came up from Laredo, TX where they are stationed with the F.B.I. It will most likely be another year before we see each other again, so it was even more wonderful to see them. Atticus and Lilly are cut of the same cloth and played boisterously and gleefully. My sister came from near Chicago to stay for the long weekend. Jonathan & Robyn live nearby so they came over every day too.

And that's not all. My folks decided to throw a giant picnic on Saturday -- for our entire family, both sides (and friends from back in Illinois). So my Aunt Lisa & Uncle Eddie flew in from Billings, MT. My Aunt Donna & Uncle Danny came up from central-ish Illinois. My Aunt Ophelia & Uncle Mike drove up from outside of St. Louis. And my Aunt Becky flew out from Huntington Beach, CA. (I hadn't seen her in three years.) We "kicked off" the weekend by meeting at a local BBQ place.
(Photo above, Clockwise from lower left: My dad, Uncle Mike, Aunt Becky, Aunt Donna, Uncle Danny, Uncle Eddie, the back of my mom's head)

Clockwise from lower left: Aunt Becky, Aunt Donna, Aunt Ophelia, Aunt Lisa, Uncle Eddie

Clockwise from lower left: Dietrich, my brother Aaron, my sister-in-law Lindsey, our niece Lilly, My sister-in-law Robyn, My brother Jonathan, my sister Bekah

My dad, Dietrich & my mom
(Dietrich has a cold that still hasn't gotten better)

Uncle Mike (the oldest of the bunch) & Aunt Becky (third in the line-up) (My mom is second oldest.)

Aaron & Lindsey

Atticus & Lilly play with a puzzle at the restaurant with their Aunt Bekah helping.

Bekah brought her Play Station and new Guitar Hero III. Jon brought over his guitar and we were able to play one person on guitar and one person on bass or duel over the same part.

I miss sky open like this.
(And in northern Illinois it is even less "obscured" by the skyline because there it is so flat and plain. Some people think it's ugly because of that, and I understand their perspective, but there's this feeling of being able to breathe, a strange free release that happens for me when I stand "beneath" or rather in a sky like this.)

Lilly & the fly swatter (with Victor watching)

Saturday was the big picnic. This is a gathering of all the first cousins (minus two -- my uncle Eddie's two kids couldn't make it) with spouses and kids. I'll just do a quick line-up for you according to the five siblings in the Trout (my mom's maiden name) family: My Uncle Mike had two daughters (both married, each with two kids). My mom had four kids (three of us married, two of us with kids and three of us with a baby on the way). My Aunt Becky never had kids. My Uncle Danny had four daughters (two of who are married, four of who have kids -- 9 children total, one on the way). My Uncle Eddie had two kids (both married, one with kids).

Some of my cousins I haven't seen in over five years and some of their kids I've never met. None had met Dietrich. Collectively we live in Minnesota, Texas, four different sections of Illinois (it's a long state), Montana & Florida.

Relatives from the Ackland side and the Trout side mingling (not uncommon).

My Aunt Margo (my dad has one brother, Margo is his wife; They have three kids, all married, one with children. Most of them were also able to come, but I missed a picture because of going back to put the boys down for a nap.) and my great Aunt Inez (who is 95? -- or older?) and spry as anything. We write each other still. She was my grandma's best friend and lived a street over when my grandma lived "in town." Now Aunt Inez lives down in Kewanee, IL near her son and grandkids and great grandkids. She "hitched" a ride with some Friday cousins.

My cousin Todd and his dad my cousin Lloyd in background watching on. My cousin Tom helping the kids with the pinata. My Aunt Ophelia to the right.

Here is my cousin Lisa, my dear friend, talking animatedly with Brad. Lisa and I were able to catch an early breakfast before church the next morning (Lisa, her husband Jason, and their two kids headed back to Chicagoland after church on Sunday). Lisa and I had a wide-ranging, stimulating, and never-enough conversation (as always) but I didn't take pictures, so this will illustratively substitute. We've had such a time trying to catch phone conversations with each of us barely managing two very young children. We used to be faithful letter-writing companions. But we are both much happier and much tireder than in our old lives (-:
Ellie, Lisa's youngest, turned one the day before, and Dietrich

Lilly & Atticus has much fun singing and playing music together. Lilly would announce "Sing song!!" and off they'd go to the piano.


Sunday we went to church at my dad's church. He preached from James chapter 1 on persevering in our Christian faith. My favorite quote was from Winston Churchill who said that perseverance is like riding a tiger: You've got to hold on or.... My dad also used the illustration on Eric Liddell a Scottish Olympian runner of the 1920s who also happened to be a jouyous and steadfast Christian. He said "I believe God made me for a purpose [about later becoming a missionary to inland China]. He also made me fast. And when I run I feel the pleasure of God."

The focus of the sermon was from James 1:12 Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown -- with joy running to the finish line; Christ , our victory crown, a prize that does not fade or crumble or turn into an illusion, or disappoint; splendid & glorious.

It was very good to be able to sit through a sermon (I've had other responsibilities as church the last two Sundays) -- thank you, Mom, for staying with the boys in the play area.
Sunday afternoon we had a combined (with her family at their church) baby shower for my sister-in-law Robyn, due in October.

Robyn and one of her sisters, obviously, also pregnant. Robyn is the youngest of 9 (or 8?) kids.

My cousin Carolyn stayed for the shower -- talking with Robyn's oldest sister.

My mom with their pastor's wife praying at the beginning

My mom giving a short devotional on the joy of serving -- a baby, a family.

Robyn's sisters and sister-in-laws and a friend thrown in there second from left.


Robyn's grandma is the second from right. The lady on the far right looks like she's related but I only know some of these people. Lots of cousins around the circle.

Robyn's mom

My sister and sister-in-law Lindsey

A game where we guess how far around Robyn's middle is -- using a cut of yarn.

My mom and Atticus making muffins

My Aunt Becky gave the kids battery-operated hand fans -- here they are spinning and being silly. They're dressed up for a family photo session over at the park. When I get those photos I'll post them.

He fell asleep -- missed his nap and was sick with a cold. Poor guy.

My dad helping Atticus with the digger.

Jonathan giving a hand-up to Atticus

Our last lunch together at a Chicago-style pizza place in Platteville.

My brothers.

The restaurant had a neat (scary) singing pizza-maker Elmo. Bekah held the mesmerized kids -- over and over and over.

No comments: