Thursday, August 21, 2008

45 Minutes of Backyard Fun

It has been so very hot. I am a 65 degrees kind of girl. Not 80's/90's with jungle humidity. Well, last week I decided Atticus needed some backyard water excitement. So I filled up the little pool and opened the sandbox; put a swim diaper on Atticus. Sunblocked myself and both boys. Set up a play blanket on the patio for Dietrich. Grabbed a magazine and sat down to supervise and maybe read an article. Preparations took about 45 minutes. About half an hour into transferring sand from the sandbox into the pool, Atticus started to get bored. He started climbing up and down the dirt pile. Then he slid down it on his stomach. Well, too late to say "no" at that point. So I continued trying to read the article. Then after 15 minutes he came over to see what I was doing. I realized he was very very poopy. So I ran upstairs and grabbed the wipes and a diaper. I ripped open the side of the diaper and found that it was uber-diarrhea (the Atticus Norm) down the leg, up the back. Okay, so I clean this up with about 23 wipes. Dietrich starts screaming because he's tired of sitting on the blanket and because he's hot and because God likes to bring me to the end of myself. Anyway. So I tell Atticus to stand at the back door and "don't move". I run inside turn on the bath water and put down towels. I run back grab the dirt-covered Atticus. I drop him in the bath. I run back outside, grab Dietrich (still screaming), bring him into the kitchen doorway and put him in the jumper until I can help him. I go back into the bath, rub off all the dirt, rinse all the sand out of Atticus' hair. Then I drain the tub, clean it, and run another bath. I soap Atticus up and shampoo his hair. He's clean. I go out get Dietrich, put him up in the "living room" with some toys. I run back down, wrap Atticus in a towel and bring him up to the living room and ask him to sit there on the floor. I grab a diaper and some clean clothes and get Atticus diapered and dressed. Dietrich is poopy. I change his diaper. Grab his bottle downstairs, feed him, clean him up. He's happy, for now. Atticus is playing and happy. I am exhausted. It's time to make dinner. Man. Is it really this hard?

1 comment:

melissa said...

hilarious post, sarah! i can so relate to what hard work it can be to have some fun with little ones! exhausting. :) you wrote about it perfectly. thanks for sharing pieces of you life - i've really enjoyed your blog!