Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Pineapple Upside Down * Whoa! * Cake

Ha! Ha! So I need to work on my cake skills! This was my epic-fail of a birthday cake experiment (for myself). I used my new layer cake pans from my mom, and made two upside down pineapple cake layers. Then I whipped up some cream-cheese frosting to layer lightly in-between and swirl on the top. As I assembled it, I was so excited because it looked beautiful -- just like I had envisioned it. Brad walked into the kitchen as I was about to finish the top. He was holding Thea Belle. The three boys whirled in like a dervish. Then in crazy, cinematic slow motion the pineapple rings looked as if they were sliding off the top. Brad says casually, "Use some toothpicks to hold them down" I look at him skeptically as we both realize it isn't just the rings, each section of the cake is falling away from the center like monkey bread...and the cake is quickly sliding off onto the counter and floor. I grab a big mixing bowl off the dish drainer and grab each section throwing it into the bowl before it hits the ground. Wow. What a mess. It was horrible. And so funny. Good thing it was only our little family and the Bergets for dinner. It still tasted good. All the same, Pathetic Birthday Cake #2 for the Johannsen year. Lincoln's is up next. (p.s. the title of this post is Brad's brain child (-:)

No comments: