Thursday, March 31, 2011

Paper Mache Rockets and Young Children

Atticus wanted to make a Rocket Pinata. So one day, way too late into naptime, we started building a base for the rocket and then started putting on the newspaper strips -- It was messy and ridiculous and, of course, 10 minutes into the project, both the younger boys woke up and had to jump in too. Why do I think we can do these sorts of things?? -- crazy Sarah. Anyway, we got it done. We let it dry for a day. Then I think it's a great idea for them all to paint the thing. Did I mention I did it during the day without Brad as back-up? Did I mention our bathtub was out of service due to on-going leakage issues? Did I mention my two younger children poop often. Anyway...so they all start painting -- so far so good. Then the baby needs a diaper (and clothing) change -- I leave to change her. When I return the paint-to-clean-skin ratio on Lincoln has reached alarming levels. I decide that things are a little out of hand. I get some wet rags and start trying to do damage control. The paint is too thick.The rags aren't cutting it. Oh dear. The kid is going to need a shower or bath or something. Aargh. Can't use bathtub. Now Dietrich needs to use the potty -- and he can't wait to be cleaned off. He does his business -- paint all over floors and walls. Okay, Lincoln wants to be done painting. Need to get him cleaned up. I grab him trying not to get it all over me. Then I tell the other boys to keep painting -- please don't get down. I take Lincoln to the basement shower. When I get down there I strip Lincoln down -- realize he is diarrhea poopy. Argh! So I use -- please don't tell -- Chlorox wipes (that were in the basement bathroom) on his butt. It's true. I did it. Anyway, I try to get Lincoln into the shower without having to get in myself -- right. So Lincoln is hysterical, covered in paint. I keep hold of his arm so he won't run screaming into the yucky part of the basement. I get undressed with one arm. I get into the shower with Lincoln. I hear running feet upstairs -- back and forth across the whole first floor. So I get Lincoln clean. I dry us both off. I grab all our stuff. Get upstairs -- paint across the floor into the opening. Into the bathroom from going potty. Aargh. Anyway...so on and so on. We got the rocket painted. The kids clean. And the floors wiped up. Then it was lunch time. Whew! Tonight we fill it with candy and beat the thing to death with our friend Peter who is coming for dinner. I hope they have so much fun! (And that it lasts at least longer than, say, 5 minutes.)




 

 



2 comments:

liz@carpeseason said...

Thea the Serene as usual. Awesome post. Well written.

ilovemychildren said...

I lvoe the pictures of your boys all stripped down painting the rockets. Too darn cute. We are planning to make Paper mache rockets tomorrow for sabbath fun. Thankfully our tub is in working order. Thanks for sharing.