Wednesday, May 21, 2008

We Grow 'Em Right

Tuesday the boys had their 2-year and 5-month doctor appointments.
The Statistics:
Atticus 35 inches (75%), 28 lbs. (50%) (He grew 5 inches and gained 5.5 lbs. in the last year.)
Dietrich 27.5 inches (higher than 100%), 17.5 lbs. (95%) (He grew 3 inches and gained 4 lbs. in the last 2 months.)

Both boys are very healthy. Atticus had his last shots until he's 3. The news with him is that he was found to have some lead in his blood. It was a low amount and not something that the doctor would have been concerned about except that he has always tested out as zero before this. (Lead testing is common for south Minneapolis -- our homes are so old -- lots of character but sometimes some old-hazard building stuff to contend with.) I was calm about it until I began making the requisite calls to the city, etc. to find out what to do next. Every person I spoke with gave me horrible stories about the effects of lead on permanent cognitive development in children and kept spurring me on into a panic. Thankfully, Brad came home and prayed with me, talked with me, helped me regain my perspective. I did have a contractor come out today to discuss a quote for removing the offending flaking paint on our front windows (as well as some other safety changes in the house). I have a lead tester coming next Wednesday to test the house, yard and water for lead levels and to give us some safety procedures for reducing lead exposure to our kids. I really think it is those old swing-out windows in the front of the house which weathered badly over the winter. But never-fear I am on top of the whole thing. It has come at a kinda bad time since we already sent our tax rebates out to our car loan principle and when I already had a lawn consultant coming this week to help us with our dying/eroding yard. BUT -- my husband is truly wonderful: He is the perfect combination of conservative, realistic, visionary, and practical. And he has been totally "getting" how to work with my high-strung desire to competently take care of our kids, home, friends, family, yard, grand-vision-for existence. He encourages and calms and listens and gives me lots of hugs. Sometimes he even sends me to take a hot shower or a walk by myself. I come back able to pick up where I need to -- but with a smile. Oh, I love Brad.

I hope to soon post some fun things about what the boys have been doing lately -- things they are learning and such. But for now, they are both healthy and increasingly surprising and delightful.

No comments: