Tuesday, September 11, 2007

My Folks and World Domination with a Pawn

My mom and dad came to visit Sunday evening. They made it in time for our cook-out with our new small group from church. Monday we took Atticus to Choo Choo Bob's Train Shop over in St.Paul. We'd never been but our friends the Millers and Rodriquez' had talked about how fun it was. Atticus was a little young for it but ended up having much more fun than I had anticipated. Grandma and Grandpa bought him a neat Melissa&Doug wooden train that's also a block puzzle. He's been playing with it all day (-- even after Grandma and Grandpa left this morning). Monday afternoon my mom and I went to Mall of America for her to use her birthday J.Jill gift card. She found a very pretty sweater and skirt. That night after dinner all together, just Brad and I went over to 'our' coffee house and talked and played some chess. Amazing of amazing things I beat Brad at chess -- for the first time ever. I must downplay this unthinkable defeat by admitting that Brad who has been my chess teacher was teaching me all through this game. I will here defer to Brad to explain what happened:

Brad: "I overlooked her pawn. I taught her how people frequently overlook pawns in the endgame, and she exploited this to my deep humiliation. Everyone at Anodyne was laughing at me. Then I looked down and saw I wasn't wearing any pants. I opened my mouth to say something and all my teeth fell out. I may never play chess again. The end."

Hm. Interesting explanation, Bradley.

So this morning my folks left by 9 am because my mom had work this afternoon. I enjoyed their visit so much -- Atticus and I ended up spending the entire afternoon at the Como Zoo because I was sad about my family leaving. We had a lovely blustery cool day at a nearly empty zoo.

No comments: