Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Wildflower Sanctuary

Calvin descending...



Last week the Millers and Atticus and I trekked over to a recently discovered (thank you, Aunt Donna!!!!) wildflower sanctuary: Eloise Butler Wildflower & Bird Sanctuary. We only spent a short while there and did a quick loop on one of the many trails. Just absolutely beautiful, even before full glory of Spring. There were some good paper guides. Bloodroot, Trillium, and Trout Lilies were in bloom. And we saw a glimpse of some yellow finches. The moss was just lovely. And some ferns were beginning to unfurl.

Atticus being silly, silly. Laughing, almost running. Right after this he fell (rolled) down a dip-ditch right in front of him.

Me trying to get Calvin to be as fascinated with Moss and I am. I wished so badly my dad was with me. I miss him informally teaching me and being able to ask him questions. My mom and dad have always been so good at teaching me (by example) to notice things, to SEE things...little treasures, tiny surprises all around us. I am so thankful for them "infecting" me with this "disease" of curiosity. I wished I remembered more of what I've read and heard and studied. I forget so much. I've been thinking how I'll need to start relearning big chunks of stuff to arm myself for questions from Atticus. It will be so so exciting to be here with him as his world continues to unfurl before him.

2 comments:

Leah Miller said...

We had so much fun with you guys! And Sarah, you taught Cal so much and I'm thankful you are in our lives to balance out all of my ignorance.

The Tribe said...

Loved that write up!