Tuesday, October 05, 2010

My Parents at Mackinaw Island

My parents at Mackinaw Island earlier this month before coming over to visit us here in Minneapolis. I miss my parents so much. I was thinking about them today as I drove around taking Atticus to preschool, stopping at Target, taking Lincoln to his doctor appointment. I was thinking how much I miss talking with them -- After my husband and children, they are my dearest, deepest friends. I wish they lived down the street. I wish I had more time to talk with them on the phone even. As my family is growing I am increasingly aware of how much they have given to me, how much I owe them for so much of what is important to me from growing up. Memories of piano lessons, playing in the rain, weeding in the garden (yes! a good memory), drawing and cutting and glueing, making the living room into oceans or giant "castles" or the mega-camping trips out West, church Sunday after Sunday after Wednesday or fiddling around in the sewing room or visits to the library or Franklin Grove Spring, stories and books and stories and books. Thank you, thank you, thank you for being there all of the time and giving yourselves so fully. I hope you both live to be 80 (please, God)...I need you still. And I want my kids to know and remember you.

No comments: